Museum Front
school bus 1900
Dickinson Log Cabin
Children coloring as Indians
wagon

Help Support the Museum!  

Permanent Exhibits

Check out some of our exciting and educational permanent exhibits. The Wayne County Historical Museum has exhibits that appeal to the whole family:

Mummy

   

 A 3000-year old mummy is on display along with his beautifully preserved and exquisitely painted coffin. Surrounding the mummy are 12 display cases filled with objects that were used in every day life but also preserved in tombs for their owner to use in the afterlife.

Dollhouse

This doll house was built in 1880 for 10 year old Caroline R. Jones. Caroline later became Mrs. Charles M Woodman and lived on College Ave in Richmond.This house was made by a professional carpenter and wood carver named Allen Weeks. His name is on the balcony over the front door.Wood used in the structure is mainly black walnut and tulip, with small pieces of amaranth and whitewood for trimming.

The house and its furnishings are typical of 1880. They have not been subjected to changes by remodeling and modernization which have affected most houses of that period.

On the first floor the cook stove and the kitchen furnishings may be seen in the room at the right. The dining room furnishings, including pewter dishes, are shown at the left. On the second floor are the living room and parlor, and on the third floor the bedroom and nursery, all with appropriate furniture, lace curtains at windows and brass chandeliers for lights. Marble top tables and wash stands, heavy gilt picture frames and elaborate furniture complete the arrangement of a very comfortable home for Caroline's play family.

 

Pilot Restoration

  

The 1922 Pilot Speedster is the 19th car in the museum's collection and is the 9th Richmond built car in our collection.

A group of volunteering car enthusiasts are currently meeting every Wednesday to work on the restoration. If you would like to share your talents in this project, contact the museum for times and location.